Getting your heater serviced is an important step you can take for you and your family’s safety. By getting your gas heater serviced by a reliable technician, you get the peace of mind knowing that you will have an excellent working heater that is safe for your family to use.
Using your gas heater safely:
- Make an appointment for a gas heater service every two years minimum. While all heaters will require a regular service, the older the model the more attention it will need.
- Ensure your room is well ventilated.
- Clean your heaters duct registers and cold air return vents when turned off to reduce build up of dust.
- Keep flammable materials that you are trying to dry at least 1.5 metres away from the heater.
- Don’t leave your heater running when you are not home or when you go to bed.
- Be mindful not to keep aerosols or pressure pack cans near the heater, even if a heater is turned off, its pilot light is still on.
- Keep your outdoor heaters outside, they are not designed to be brought inside.
It is recommended you get your gas heater serviced when…
- Your last service was over two years ago.
- There are soot stains around the heater.
- The pilot light goes out unexpectedly, or you hear a ‘pop’ or ‘bang’ when it is being lit.
- There are signs of heat damage, such as heat discolouration of the walls or the heater panels. Or the walls are too hot to touch with the heater on.
- Yellow or sooty flame
The dangers of gas heaters:
It is important to be aware of the dangers that gas heating appliances can have. An unsafe heater can cause a fire or worse yet can release dangerous fumes into home, including carbon monoxide. If you’d like to take precaution, audible carbon monoxide alarms are available on the market, however are not designed to be a substitute for heater maintenance. Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed in or near every room that has a gas heater. If you are thinking of getting this alarm, it is a good idea to consider getting one that provide visual and audible alarms to indicate when the electrochemical sensing cell has expired.
How Northwest Heating and Cooling Can Help You:
Is your gas heater due for a service? Northwest Heating and Cooling provide high quality and reliable service to homes in Geelong and beyond. Contact us for a quote today.